Monday, December 30, 2013

Top Ten Books I Read In 2013


For this week's Top Ten Tuesday, we are covering the year of 2013.  What did we read?  What did we like?

This year I have read more books than I ever have before.  Topping off at 112 books, I have made significant progress!   What did I like best..... in no particular order:


1. John Adams by David McCullough: I am a big fan of David McCullough. I learn so much reading his books.  And I am a huge fan of John Adams.


2. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: I am not sure why I hadn't read this one before this year, but I finally read it.  I love Dickens.  He is a master of his craft.


3. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee: Confession: I have read this book about 10 times in my life, but I did reread it this year so it totally counts, right?! 


4. The Last Juror by John Grisham: I love Grisham.  He tells a story with such details and yet, it's never boring.


5. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro: A unique story of human farming (for lack of a better term).  It's heartbreaking and clever.


6. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson: A non-fiction narrative abut a real serial killer?  How could I not like it?


7. Playing the Enemy by John Carlin: This is a fantastic tale of Nelson Mandela right after he became President of South Africs.  I learned so much about this great man, and just before his death too.


8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett: I just read this one and haven;t had time to write a review yet.  But it's coming, and spoiler: I loved it!


9. Calico Joe by John Grisham:  John Grisham makes the list again with a baseball story.  I love baseball!


10. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick: Seriously, I adore this book!



9 comments:

  1. Wow. Your reading list could be mine. I am a David McCullough fan, though I haven't read John Adams, I like some of his other books among them 1776. I am also a Matthew Quick fan. Have you read his most recent, Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1776 was also really good. I have read Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock and wasn't a huge fan of that one. I did really like Boy21 and I just started Sorta Like a Rock Star.

      Delete
  2. Great list! I've been meaning to re-read Never Let Me Go (have I mentioned this already? Probably not), there's just so much going on beneath the surface, I don't think I quite grasped it all the first time around that I read it.

    Happy New Year! :) My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an odd book, but I really liked it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. The Last Juror brings back memories, very good. You must also go watch The Help now, both movie and book are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched the movie not long after I finished the book (thank you local library!). It was fantastic! I love Emma Stone!

      Delete
  4. I have yet to read Silver Linings. Which is such a shame because everyone says it's a fantastic book. Must get around to reading it!

    My Books of 2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really hit home to me. I thought he did a great job. I cannot recommend it enough.

      Delete
  5. TKAM is one of my all-time favorites too. We even named our cat Scout :)
    I didn't read the book but felt the same way about the movie, Never Le Me Go.

    ReplyDelete