Monday, December 16, 2013

Making Up For Monday: Didn't Live Up


 Its time for Making Up For Monday!

Question: What book did someone recommend to you as "amazing" that you thought was anything but amazing?

For me, there were quite a few of these.  The one I can think of off the top of my head is Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

I read the back of this book and thought this is exactly the kind of book I would love. Its all about a dark circus that always shows up unexpectedly at night.  It draw people in, without them really understanding why.  Then comes the dueling magicians.

But I didn't feel like that was the book I got.  I got a very boring love story.  Blah!  I felt like the writer wasted the atmosphere of this book.  I wanted so much more than just a love story from this book, but I really felt like that was the main focus.  I got very very bored.

I wish I could have said I understand everyone's love for this book, but I think I missed it.



Check out more from Making Up For Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Wuthering Heights. Recommended by: everybody. What they said: passionate love story, no man can measure up to Heathcliff. What I thought: two self-centered brats become obsessed with each other and destroy everyone around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Dang it, that's on my classics list.

      Delete
  2. I didn't think The Night Circus lived up to the hype at all. I agree, great concept but I cared more about other aspects of the circus adn story than the love story it revolvved around.

    ReplyDelete