Monday, December 16, 2013

Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013

Its time again for the Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and The Bookish.

This week's theme is Top Ten New-To-Me Authors I Read In 2013.

This was an easy list for me.  So far, I have read 108 books this year.  So that is a lot of new authors.  Here's my top ten:

1. Matthew Quick: I adored Silver Lining's Playbook. I have read a couple of his other books: one I enjoyed and one I didn't, but I am still very happy with Silver Lining's Playbook.


2. J. K. Rowling: Yes, before 2013 I hadn't read ANY of her books. Now I have read all of the Harry Potter series.


3. Kazuo Ishiguro: I had never even heard of this author before I read Never Let Me Go.


4. David McCullough: Why did I not read him before?  He makes non-fiction so fascinating! I have always been fascinated with the founding of this country. This may because my mother is OBSESSED with the 4th of July and Red, White, and Blue.  We grew up with an American flag in our yard, with a light on it at night. I guess some of that rubbed off. :)


5. David Baldacci: This was a recommendation from my dad.  Baldacci has some marvelous characters in his books. This isn't just a typical crime novel. The main character is basically homeless. Its very unique.


6. Jeff Lindsay: The Dexter series is what I need for my serial killer fix.  His character is fascinating!

7. Kurt Vonnegut: This man has an interesting way of writing.  He can get you laughing about some terrible stuff that he went though. This isn't in a horrible way, but in a way that shows humor is how he coped. That's talent.


8. George Orwell:  What a great writer who doesn't hold back from how he really feels.


9. Joseph Heller: This book is pure brilliance! Seriously, I can't describe it. 

10. Erik Larson: If you haven't read him yet I have one question, ""Why not?!"


Are there any new authors I need to start reading?

14 comments:

  1. Great list! Glad you enjoyed works from J.K Rowling, George Orwell, Kazuo Ishiguro (The Remains of the Day from him is just sublime), Kurt Vonnegut and Joseph Heller (am hoping to revisit Catch-22 in the coming year :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I will have to re-visit Catch-22 eventually too. It was so good!

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you go to Harry Potter! I'm always surprised how many people haven't read it, but I often forget I have a skewed idea of how many people have read it since my generation grew up with it and so most of my immediate friends have. I have been wanting to read Never Let Me Go for AGES (and see the movie, for that matter). Hopefully it'll happen in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha, yeah, I was in high school when Harry Potter first started and was never into fantasy, so I skipped it. I think if I had been younger, I probably would have read it.

      Delete
  3. I'm really glad you liked Harry Potter. It is such a brilliant series. I was happy to grow up with it. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I missed growing up with it, but my nieces now are and they really enjoy it.

      Delete
  4. Great list! I hope to get to Kurt Vonnegut early in 2014, since I picked up two of his books a few months ago. Glad you enjoyed all these new authors! :)

    Erin @ Let's Evaluate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew Quick is amazing! As much as I didn't really like the Silver Linings Playbook movie I was happy it brought him more recognition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the movie was ok, even though they changed almost everything But I really liked Bradley Cooper as Pat and Jennifer Lawrence as Tiffany. Of course I have adored Bradley Cooper since his Alias days and became a big fan of Jennifer Lawrence after Winter's Bone, so that may have something to do with it.

      Delete
  6. Ohhh... Dexter is waiting on my e-reader for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy! He's an interesting protagonist... or antagonist???? Not sure which one he would be. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, this is a really interesting list. I love J.K.Rowling, but sometimes wish that I had never read the Harry Potter books so I could experience them all for the first time again. I hope you are enjoying/enjoyed reading them!
    Silver Linings Playbook and Never Let Me Go are two that I really want to read. I have seen both the films, and although I know they are probably slightly different, I was very impressed with the originality of the stories. Would be very interested to read Matthew Quick and Kazuo Ishiguro's original versions of them.
    Once again, really great and interesting list. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I polished of the Harry Potter series already and enjoyed it. I hope you enjoy Silver Linings Playbook and Never Let Me Go, both of which are way better than the movies (but isn't that normally true).

      Delete