Friday, December 20, 2013

Skipping Christmas: 4 Stars


Skipping Christmas by John Grisham

I am not much of a Christmas person. I know, I know, I'm the Grinch! Actually, I think I am more of a Luther Krank. Grisham's description of him is me to a tee. The money that goes into it, everyone trying to outdo each other, the pressure to have everything perfect; is it really worth it?

After their only daughter leaves to join the Peace Corp, Luther and Nora Krank decide to go on a cruise and skip the Christmas hoopla. Without their daughter, they just aren't feeling the Christmas spirit. But when the small town they live in takes notice, no one is happy.  With every house on the block decked out in holiday decor, complete with a large Frosty on the roof, the Krank's un-lit home gets unwanted attention.

This story is a super cute, fun read. It's an over-the-top silly story, perfect for the holiday season.  I mean, seriously, what neighborhood is going to band together and chant "Free Frosty" when you don't put yours on your roof, or is going to carol loudly outside your home to drive you crazy?

But at the end of the day, it was a fun story with a good message and happy ending.

Rating: PG

No comments:

Post a Comment