Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Classics Club

Looking for a new challenge for the 2014 year, I have actually come across two, each with different time frames.

Here is the first:

The Classics Club:
The rules to this club are simple:  Pick 50 (or more) classics.  Read them.  Write about them. They have no definition of classic, leaving it up to each individual.  This was an easy challenge to accept. On my to-be-read list, I already had 40 classics.

Timeline:  January 1, 2014 to December 31, 2018

1. The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
2. A Tramp Abroad by Mark Twain
3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
4. The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells
5. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
6. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

7. The Hound of Baskerville by Arthur Conan Doyle
8. The Time Machine by H.G. Wells
9. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
10. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
11. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
12. Biko by Donald Woods
13. The Gift of the Magi by Henry O.
14. Psycho by Robert Bloch
15. How Green Was My Valley by Richard Llewllyn
16. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
17. The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
18. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
19. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
20. Lord of the Flies by William Golding
21. The Stranger by Albert Camus
22. Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
23. Sophie's Choice by William Styron
24. The Princess Bride by William Goldman
25. Stanger in a Stange Land by Robert Heinlein
26. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
27. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
28. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
29. A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift
30. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
31. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame by Victor Hugo
32. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kasey
33. The Harvester by Gene Stratton-Porter
34. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
35. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
36. The Mysterious Stranger by Mark Twain
37. The Turn of the Screw by Henry James
38. As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
39. Pudd'nhead Wilson by Mark Twain
40. Henderson the Rain King by Saul Bellow
41. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
42. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
43. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
44. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
45. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
46. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
47. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe
48. Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternak
49. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
50. Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne

6 comments:

  1. Awesome list! I've read a bunch of these, but there are still SO MANY classics I've yet to experience. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I realized a few years ago that while I knew about a lot of classics, I hadn't actually read a ton of them. So I started reading some here and there, but this will help me focus on them a bit more.

      Delete
  2. I gave myself an ongoing "one classic each month" challenge a few years ago. I've fallen off the wagon lately (I don't know why I'm struggling so much with Great Expectations but I WILL FINISH IT!) but normally I'm pretty good at giving a classic novel a chapter or two every night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty good. That means you easily knock out 50 classics in the next five years.

      Delete
  3. Impressive list - welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete