Monday, January 26, 2015

Ten Books I'd Love to Read With My Book Club


It's time again for The Broke and The Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday. This week's theme is: Ten Books I'd Love to Read With My Book Club.

I have been going to the same book club for about two and a half years now. It was my sister's book club that I joined when I moved to town. While I love the group and really enjoy going, I am by far the youngest and the only one that is not a mom (although that will change in a few months).  They are much more conservative than I am, so I hold back on some of my recommendations, simply because any language and whatnot will make most of them put the book down. So my list consists of books I would love to read with them, but know they wouldn't like just because of the language or length (because trying to read a 1000 page book in a month is a lot to ask).

1. Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon:

This is one of my favorite books of all time. It's such a fun and fascinating read. However, there is a little too much language for my book club.


2. John Adams by David McCullough:

This one is just a very long book and I couldn't expect anyone to finish it in time.



3. To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee:

This one would be perfect for my book club, which is probably why they already read it before I joined.

4. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro:

This book would spark a lively conversation for sure, but again, a little too heavy for my particular book club.

5. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas:

This one is definitely way too long for a monthly book club!



6. The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis:

I love this book and book club actually did read it last year!


7. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson:

The context of this book, while fascinating, it very dark. I don;t think most in my book club would enjoy it.


8. The Help by Kathryn Stockett:

Again, I missed out on this one since they read the book before I joined the club.



9. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn:

This one is definitely too heavy and full of way too much language for my book club. 


10. Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick:

Again, way too much language in this one. Tiffany has quite the mouth.


12 comments:

  1. Good list. I also included To Kill A Mockingbird and The Count of Monte Cristo (my all time favorite book). The Lewis selection I chose was Till We Have Faces. Thanks for sharing, you gave me some great suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read Till We Have Faces. I am adding that to my TBR list!

      Delete
  2. We did do the Count of Monte Cristo a few years back. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really?! That's a very dedicated book club, because that book is HUGE!

      Delete
  3. Great list! I have Gone Girl on my list, too. Here's my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a phenomenal book that you really feel like you need to talk out afterward...maybe with a therapist:) ha ha ha!

      Delete
  4. The Shadow of the Wind would definitely make for great reading/discussion in a book club =D Great list!

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of my favorite books of all time!

      Delete
  5. I would totally join your book club. I love so many of these books and want to read so many of the others.

    Thanks for sharing.

    I accidentally did next week's post on accident, but still check it out please. mine's here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome! As much as I love my book club (and will continue to go to), I would love a book club that's a little more risky.

      Delete
  6. You have a lot of good books listed in your post. A few I've read and enjoyed... I should probably add Erik Larson's book to my ever expanding reading wishlist!! Here's a link to my TTT post for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/01/top-ten-tuesday-ten-books-id-love-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's an excellent writer (says someone who has only read that one book by him).

      Delete