Sunday, January 18, 2015

Making Up For Monday: Sucker Punch


It's time for Making Up For Monday! This is a weekly meme hosted by me that asks some fun literary questions. Feel free to play along!

This week's question:
What character in a book would you like to sucker punch in the face?

Even in books that I really like, there are often characters that drive me a bit crazy (and sometimes are meant to drive you crazy).  I decided to list three characters that were horrible in my opinion, but that I don't think were the author's intention.  Here we go:

#3: Becky Bloomwood in Confessions of a Shopoholic:

Ok, ok, so saying I would sucker punch her is a bit much, but I might slap her on occasion. She is ditzy, self-centered, stuck up, and all around annoying. She also never grows in this book. She just keeps going down the path of materialism with no end in sight.  Ick!



#2: Annie Altman in This is Where I Leave You:

Her character ruined this entire book for me. While she was barely in the book, the parts she were in were so irritating and disgusting that I was shocked.  She does something rather despicable and passes it off like it's nothing, or worse, that there was nothing wrong with it.  Her I might actually punch.  


#1: Rabbit Angstrom in Rabbit is Rich:

Last but not least....ok, least.  By far my least favorite character of all time is Rabbit Angstrom. Ugh!  He's a perverted, disgusting, cheating, self-centered man.  Yet somehow Updike wrote like four books about him AND two won Pulitzer Prizes!  How?  How is that possible?  Clearly I must have missed the point, but I was too busy loathing everything about this character. 



What about you?  What characters made you want to wind up and let loose on their face? 

Also, what other topics would you like to see in this meme.  I am running out of ideas!  Feel free to comment below!  I'd love some fresh ideas!



1 comment:

  1. I've never read any of those books, though all seem pretty punch- and/or slap-worthy.

    ReplyDelete