Sunday, January 11, 2015

Making Up For Monday: Movie Mayhem






It's time for Making Up For Monday!

This week's question:
What was the worst movie adaptation of a book that you have seen?


This is a difficult questions, because to truly answer it well, I feel I should have both seen the movie AND read the book. Usually, if I have read the book, I don't see the movie. A couple of examples of this are The Scarlet Letter and The Great Gatsby. I have read both the books and have heard the movies were terrible in comparison, but I have chosen not to see either one.

I also think that the movie had to be terrible on its own. If the movie was changed from the book, but translated decently on screen, then I let it slide. Two examples of this are Silver Linings Playbook and The Count of Monte Cristo. Both changed from the book rather drastically, but I liked them both as movies. Besides, I don't think a movie that actually ended like The Count of Monte Cristo would do well in theaters, which is probably why one has never been made.

So I picked two movies based on the same authors work; an author I think movies should just stay away from: Dr. Suess.

The Cat in The Hat:  Don't even get me started on this one. It was like having your childhood just ruined in one sitting. Awful, awful movie!


The Grinch: I think Jim Carrey can be really funny, but he was so far off of what the Grinch was supposed to be that I was just dumbfounded as to how Ron Howard thought that making this movie was okay.  Bad Ron Howard!


What about you?   What movies ruined our favorite books?

 

5 comments:

  1. Never saw the Cat in the Hat; I was pretty much done with Mike Myers by then. I can understand why you picked the Grinch, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on Mike Myers. I am pretty much done with him too. And the only reason I watched it was because I was babysitting at the time. It was definitely not my choice, ha ha ha.

      Delete
  2. Mike Myers and Jim Carrey is so overdoing everything, it's not funny anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen either of these movies, I heard too many bad reviews so I have avoided them. I'm glad the reviews were correct and I haven't missed anything by not seeing them! Let's hope no one decides to make a film version of Green Eggs and Ham... sheesh! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Les Miserables, the 1998 version with Liam Neeson. Valjean doesn't even die!

    ReplyDelete