Its time again for The Broke and The Bookish's Top Ten Tuesday!
This week's theme: Top Ten Books I Was Forced to Read
1. To Kill a Mockingbird: Freshman Year, High School English
This class was practically torture. It was sixth period, in a portable building (a.k.a. a trailer) towards the end of summer. It was hot and muggy in that room and the teacher smelled, well, like he had been in a hot trailer all day. But, I was introduced to a book that I could not put down. Not only that, but it's the only book I have read more than twice. In fact, I have read it about seven times. I love it!
2. Dracula: Book Club, last year
I picked up this book about a year ago before Halloween. While it has a few parts that drag, I found it thrilling and exciting.
3. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: College Freshman, English 101
This was my first quarter in college and the professor had a whole slew of "banned" books for the curriculum. After we read this one, we had a huge debate about whether or not it is considered a "racist" book. I am still in awe that I was one of the few who said absolutely not.
4. The Secret Garden: Sixth Grade
I read this book in the sixth grade. I didn't want to at all. A book about a garden? Ugh. But I loved it!
5. The Outsiders: 8th Grade, English
I had never even heard of this book before this class and I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite it making me very sad.
6. The Odyssey: Sophomore Year, High School English
We also read The Iliad this year, but it was the Odyssey I really enjoyed.
7. James and the Giant Peach: 4th Grade
I honestly can't remember the full plot of this book, other than I loved it when I was a kid.
8. The Diary of a Young Girl: 6th Grade
Every person should read this book. Everyone.
9. Langston Hughes: Freshman, Poetry 101
I didn't read this book, just a bunch of his poems. He was pretty awesome.
10. Romeo and Juliet: Freshman Year, High School English
Ok, so I am not a big fan of this play, BUT....this was my first Shakespeare play and I have gone on to read many more. It was my gateway drug. :)