Monday, June 23, 2014

Ten Book Cover Trends I Like/Dislike

It's time for Top Ten Tueday hoisted by The Broke and The Bookish!

This week's theme: Ten Book Cover Trends I Like/Dislike

I chose 5 I dislike and 5 I like.  Here we go:

Dislike:

1. Photos of real people:  I know this is a very popular thing with books, but I don't like it because I can no longer allow my imagination to create this person. I see the person before I have a chance to even crack open the book, and that person is all I will see. 



2. Almost kissing: It's really overdone.  I am just not a fan.

  
3. Eyes:  Eyes creep me out.  That is it.



4. Half faces: This is also very popular and it just drives me crazy.



5. Faceless chiseled abs:  I realize I may be the ONLY girl to feel this way, but I feel like it cheapens the whole book. I feel like they are trying to sell me on the picture, not the book.



Like: 

1. Shadowy Figures: I love the mystery of a shadowy figure!


2. Abstract elements that become clear at some point during the book: I love that "ah-ha" moment when you realize why the cover is what it is.


3. Simplicity: I like it simple. 


4. Drawn art:  And I love drawn art.  I definitely would want to commission an artist when I write a book.


5. Black and white: There is something simple and elegant about a black and white cover.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I love covers where it's obvious the artist had read the book <3
    And those buff, half naked guys? No thank you!
    Cora @ Tea Party Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love knowing the cover is purposeful and not interchangeable.

      Delete
  2. Definitely agree on the dislikes - half naked guys and other romancey-type covers discourage me from picking up the book.

    http://readrunstudy.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/top-ten-book-cover-trends-i-likedislike/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hate: pictures of feet (when the picture is just feet, not when the picture is a whole person who has feet!). Oh, and I hate it when the author's name is bigger than the title.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh feet! That's a good one. And there are a few books where I thought the title was the author's name, so I agree.

      Delete