Monday, June 30, 2014

Making Up For Monday: Can't Wait for the Ending


It's time for Making Up For Monday!

This week's question: Do you read ahead or skip pages?


I was talking to my sister one day about a book.  I asked if she was surprised by the ending and she said "Not really; I read the last page."  Apparently this is something she does with every book.  She reads the last page so she knows where the book is going. I thought it was absurd, but when I mentioned it to my book club, I discovered she was not alone.  Many people read ahead.  

I am not one of those people.  I don't want to know where the book is going.  I want to take the journey the author intended for me to take, in the correct order. 

What about you?  Do you read ahead?  If so, why? 

2 comments:

  1. My exact reaction to your sister's reading habit was a rather shrill "humph" of disbelief. I could NEVER EVER EVER EVER do that.

    I hate spoilers. I get all murderous in the eye if one even alludes to telling me one about anything -- books, television, movies, etc. So, to do this intentionally to myself ... nope nope nope. Crazy talk. It might be extreme, but if I learn the end to a book I don't even bother reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I am not alone! I can't stand knowing the ending of the book. I feel like the point of reading is to take a journey to the end, but if you know the end, the journey is spoiled.

      Delete