Sunday, March 1, 2015

Making Up For Monday: Banning Bans

It's time for Making Up For Monday! This is a weekly meme hosted by me that asks some fun literary questions. Feel free to play along!

This week's question:
How do you feel about banned books?

How does any reader feel about banned books?  Does anyone really agree with it? I was given free reign of the library as a kid, so I was exposed to a lot of things that weren't allowed in our school library. My parents were wonderful about letting me read whatever I wanted without filtering me in any way. I don't think I was ever "corrupted" by a book. There were a few books I thought were beyond my comfort zone that I learned to stray away from, but for the most part, I read what I wanted. 

Besides, some of the best books I have ever read were once banned. The reasons books are banned are so silly to me, that I don't even think twice about them. 

Banning a book for the use of the "n-word" when it deals with racism and slavery of the past is so silly to me. It's historically accurate and I am not one who thinks we should sugar coat the past. We learn from the past, in all its faults and stumbles. Sugar coating it doesn't help us learn from it. 

Also banning any books with "magic" because it's satanic is beyond laughable. I can't even respond to that one. 

The truth is, if you ban a book, I am far more likely to read it.  So go ahead I say, keep trying to ban books.  I'll just keep reading them! 


No comments:

Post a Comment