Sunday, May 18, 2014

The Client : 4 Stars

The Client by John Grisham


I know, shocker!  I read yet another Grisham book.  I can't help it.  I think he's great.

Mary Sway is an 11-year-old boy from a broken home who has learned to take care of himself, as well as his younger brother, Ricky. One day, Mark goes out to have a smoke (as the rebellious 11-year-old he is) when his brother decides to tag along.  Along the way, they witness a man attempting to commit suicide via carbon monoxide poisoning in a car. After attempting to stop the man without being seen, Mark is caught and thrown into the car by the man at gunpoint. The man is now going to kill himself and Mark. He is a lawyer with a big secret.  He knows where the body of a senator is hidden....and he tells Mark. Mark manages to escape and the lawyer follows through with the suicide.  But it doesn't take long for people to find out that Mark knows where the body is hidden.

The FBI wants to know where and the killer wants Mark to stay quiet.  Scared and alone, Mark hires himself a lawyer. It's now up to her to keep Mark safe.

I had actually seen the movie for this one about ten years ago. I remember enjoying the film (as I typically do when Tommy Lee Jones in in the cast) and decided it was high time I read the book.  I thoroughly enjoyed both the movie and the book. Grisham does a phenomenal job of capturing the thought process of an 11-year-old boy with more life experience then most. He even notes that most of the boy's knowledge of law is based on television shows.

Yet again, I recommend another of Grisham's books.  He rarely disappoints.

Rating: PG-13


No comments:

Post a Comment