Sunday, February 22, 2015

Making Up For Monday: Emotional Roller Coasters


It's time for Making Up For Monday! This is a weekly meme hosted by me that asks some fun literary questions. Feel free to play along!

This week's question:
Have you ever read a book so emotionally draining you couldn’t complete it or had to set aside?

To be honest, I have never stopped reading a book because it was emotionally draining, or even stopped reading it.  I have, however, powered through a few with heavy subject matters, and then read something light and silly after to clear my head. 

The most recent example of this would be Gone Girl.  That is a heavy book filled with evil (although incredibly well written and a captivating story) and when I was done I was ready for something lighter.



I followed it up with Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep A Secret?  I really needed to cleanse my palate.



Does anyone else do this with heavy or draining books?  How do you deal with them?

2 comments:

  1. I have not stopped reading a book because it was emotionally draining. But I have not continued a series for that reason. I read a book called Boulveard by Steven Jay Schwartz that was about a detective who was also a sex addict who worked amongst prostitutes and was hunting down a serial killer. So damn heavy it had me in tears multiple times. I have the second book, but I don't know if I could ever enter that world again. So far it was my first and last book about a detective; that was about two years ago.

    ReplyDelete