Monday, January 20, 2014

Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist

This week's theme:  Top Ten Things On My Reading Wishlist (if you could make authors write about these things you would. Could be a specific type of character, an issue tackled, a time period, a certain plot, etc.)

1. The Autobiography of Ryan Ferguson:  Who is Ryan Ferguson you ask? Ryan Ferguson is a guy about my age who got a fake ID and went to a bar in high school on Halloween with his best friend. Sadly, a journalist was murdered next door and the murder was unsolved for years.  After two years, his best friend went to the police saying he dreamt about the murder.  After guiding him through the murder (and correcting every detail he got wrong), the police had convinced him that he and his friend Ryan had committed the murder.  With no physical evidence AT ALL and only the testimony of a clearly delusional young man, Ryan was convicted of the murder and sentenced to 40 years in prison.  After nine long years, he was finally released this last November.  I would LOVE to hear how he dealt with prison and being wrongfully accused by his former best friend.  I realize he probably wants to be left alone to adjust to life in the world, but I would still be interested.



2. Anything John Grisham: I am a HUGE fan of John Grisham.  I love his ability to create such in depth characters. His stories keep me reading even late into the night.  I always look forward to his next book.



3. Characters with mental disorders portrayed in a positive light: There have been a few of these that I have read over the last little while (It's Kind of a Funny Story and Silver Lining's Playbook) but its one I would love to see more on.


4. Characters with strong relationships with their dogs:Its no secret I love my dog.  She's my constant companion during the day and follows me around like...well like a puppy dog. I LOVE when characters have strong relationships with dogs.  I immediately have a strong connection with them.


5. Characters that DON'T cheat: Ugh, I hate it when characters cheat on their significant others!  Its annoying and just gross.


6. Sequel to To Kill A Mockingbird: Ok, so I don't think I would actually want this, but we are talking "In a perfect world" where the sequel would be as wonderful as the original. Since To Kill A Mockingbird is my all time favorite book, I often wonder what happened to Scout when she grew up.  Did she stay good friends with Dill? Did she ever see Boo Radley again?


7. A Raymond Reddington-type character: Has anyone seen The Blacklist? I LOVE that show! Its so good!  And I love Reddington's character.  Is he evil or good? Does he care or are you an ends to a means?  Is he greedy or is there something else driving him to a life of crime? His character is such a mystery, yet I like him. Its brilliant.



8. A new book boyfriend: Who doesn't love a good book boyfriend?  I need a new one.  It's been awhile.


9. A new favorite: I love running across a new book that I can't stop talking about or thinking about. 


10. A book that changes how I view the world: These books are few and far between, but every one in awhile I come across a book that affects me to my core. 

8 comments:

  1. Great choices :-) I also love coming across a book that really affects me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely great books I never want to end. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Wow! Great List! Thanks for the knowledge it provided too. I never heard of The Ryan Ferguson story, so I thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I saw a special on Ryan Ferguson once and couldn't sleep that night thinking about it. I figured that the program had twisted the truth a bit or didn't mention some evidence used to make the story sound better so I did research myself. But it was true.I still can't believe he was convinced with no actual evidence. It saddens me for him and his family as well as the victim's family. With Ferguson in jail, no one was looking for the real killer. So sad,

      Delete
  3. Wow great list! I had never heard of Ryan Ferguson, but now I am dying for his auto-biography as well - sounds like an amazing story! I am definitely going to be doing my research on that. And I'd love a new book boyfriend too! :)

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, his life just seems tragically fascinating.

      Delete
  4. Great choices, have to agree with you that we need more books where mental illness is portrayed in a less stereotypical and negative light.

    ReplyDelete